Intellectual Asset Management: Discover, Protect, and Maximize
Effective intellectual asset management focuses on creating and maximizing the value of intellectual assets. Tim Shen Consulting recommends a three-step process for utilizing these significant corporate assets.
Discover what you own
Look beyond traditional intellectual property (such as patents, trademarks, and copyrights) and discover intangibles assets that are unique, provide differentiation, and create a competitive advantage.
- Review business plans and strategies
- Identify unique aspects of your business
- Quantify and convert intangibles into intellectual assets
Protect, manage, and educate
Be proactive. Implement processes and systems to protect and manage your intellectual assets. Invest in employees: educate and train personnel to understand the value and benefit of intellectual assets. Education will lead to the creation of additional intellectual assets and the maximizing of existing assets.
Maximize the value of your intellectual assets
Put your intellectual assets to work. Incorporate, integrate and leverage your intellectual assets to achieve the following business objectives:
- Protect your unique business position
- Create effective barriers to entry
- Maintain profit margins
- Drive branding and marketing
- Establish technology licensing and royalties
- Leverage business development
- Increase business valuation
- Implement patent defense shield